Saturday, January 3, 2009

Overcoming frustrations

I sat down last night to create a masculine Valentines card. Well, as most of you know "the best laid plans....." It was one frustration after another. I ended up with a nice FATHER'S DAY card! Thought I would share how this came to be. (This is a long story since I'm adding all the exact dimensions that I used.)

I picked out a very nice green patterned paper from a 6x6 paper pad made by Basic Grey called Boxer. Then I found matching ivory and green cardstock. So far so good right? I stamped the deer on the ivory cardstock using Stampin' Up's Chocolate Chip ink. Cut out the stamped image with an oval Nestability. I also cut out a scalloped oval from the green cardstock using another Nestability in a size slightly larger. Next I cut down the green cardstock and folded it in half to make the 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card base. I cut an ivory mat at 4" x 5 1/4" and cut the patterned paper at 3 3/4" x 5". Now I was ready to add the "extra" touches.

Using Colorbox Hunter Green pigment ink I bounced the ink on the edges of the ivory oval. The ink was very wet and even though I thought it was dry I smear it! So I start over and create another stamped oval. Once again I bounce the ink on the edges and guess what? SMEARED it again!!!! So for the 3rd time I create a stamped oval. I bounced the ink on the edges and quickly sprinkled on clear embossing powder and heat set it. Now it can't smear! As I looked at the result I liked what I saw. The shine gave another dimension to the oval. Hey, why not do the same thing to the scalloped circle? I tried it and really like how it turned out.

So now I'm thinking why not try this on the ivory cardstock mat. It looked really nice! I found some matching ribbon in my stash and 3 dark brads and put the card together. I cut an ivory cardstock piece to fit the inside of the card and added a strip of the leftover patterned paper.

Now it's time to add the sentiment. I tried writing my own verse.... no good! I surfed the net for 3 hours! NOTHING... I was so frustrated I put it aside and went to bed. When I got up this morning I looked at the card again and it hit me.....This is a terrific Father's Day card! So I was reminded again that my mistakes can sometimes create something new and unique and to stop fussing with something and GO TO BED!

Here is the final result. I really like the embossed edges do you?

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love the embossed edges... I am so jealous of all the creativity everyone has... I have to be "inspired" (copy) someone's hard work....It turned out fabulous Pam.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate all your kind and constructive words.
Take Care, Pam